*HST IS INCLUDED IN PRICE*
Date & Time: April 14, 2018 – 4PM to 8:30PM
Location: Van Geest Bros. Limited, 1869 Seventh Street Louth, St. Catharines, ON, L2R 6P9
Suggested Dress Code: All of our venues are greenhouses, which means that the temperatures are usually fairly warm. The temperature in most greenhouses ranges between 20 and 24 degrees Celsius, so dress accordingly. Guests are invited to dress “casual dressy”. Also, keep in mind that some of the tours may lead through refrigerated areas of the greenhouse, which can drop down to 4 or 5 degrees Celsius. The amount of time spent in these areas, however, will be very minimal (a minute or two at most!). Finally, depending on the time of the year, bringing a sweater or jacket may be a good idea as temperatures can drop after sunset.
The Van Geest Farm
Standing in a greenhouse field of perfect Gerbera daises when it is 10 degrees below with 2 feet of snow outside is a smile inducing experience.
At least it is for Bryan Van Geest, and brother John, who run the Van Geest Bros. Limited greenhouses. While they operate two greenhouses (one in Grimsby and one in St. Catharines), the Petals and Plates dinner will be held at the newly renovated (not to mention stunning) St. Catharines location.
This second generation of Van Geest Brothers have seen a lot of changes in their business since the first generation of brothers, Adrian and Cor, bought a one-acre greenhouse on Kerman Ave. in Grimsby in 1959. They began by growing a variety of potted and cut flowers and by the mid-sixties had built their first poly (plastic) house for tomatoes. But the end of the 60’s, with Cor running the company it was established as a cut flower specialists with Chrysanthemums and Carnations. Carnations were gone in the 70’s with a transition to Chrysanthemums.
August 1986 set out on a major expansion with the purchase of the Westdale location. Alstroemeria was added to their product mix, mostly to replace the declining market for Commercial Mums. After a number of other crops were tested over the next few years, Gerberas became the focus for the Grimsby greenhouses and a further expansion in 2001. Today, Van Geest grows only Gerbera.
The Petals & Plates Experience:
- A “Cocktail and Appetizer Hour” where guests will be invited to mingle, sample appetizers, and participate in the various stations that have been set up, including:
- A “Flower Crown and Boutonniere Bar” where guests are taught how to create their very own floral creation
- Live local musicians
- The opportunity to interact with the nights featured florist
- And much more!
- A tour of the Greenhouse. The hosts of the evening (Bryan and John) will lead a guided tour of the facilities. This will be a great opportunity to learn about the industry, flowers in general, and listen to engaging and amazing stories! This will also be the perfect opportunity to ask all the questions you may have! But please, keep in mind that this is a commercial greenhouse, so please always follow the instruction of the tour guides as there are some areas that visitors are not allowed to walk through or touch.
- A gourmet multi-course artisan meal hand crafted by Executive Chef Jan-Willem Stulp, combining floral inspired recipes with locally sourced ingredients to create a feast for your taste buds while the picturesque surroundings, a rustic themed setting in the middle of an in bloom flower greenhouse, will create a feast for your other senses.
- Local craft wine and beer available for purchase. (the only cost not included in the ticket price for this event is the cash bar).
PRICE INCLUDES HST
Saturday April 14, 2018
*Estimated Event Completion: 8:30PM
Van Geest Bros. Limited
1869 Seventh Street Louth
St. Catharines, ON
*COCKTAIL AND APP'S HOUR
*GOURMET PETALS AND PLATES DINNER